Sunday, March 20, 2011

Day 79: Stupid Clouds

Well, I woke up at 6 a.m. to try and catch the supermoon on its way down. I looked outside and it was still pretty high up (and thus kind of small). So I went back to bed for a half hour. When I woke, it was a bit lower in the sky, but not low enough to get any good shots of so I walked back home and made a cup of tea. When I walked back down the street to start shooting, a ton of clouds rolled in and covered up where the moon was. Stupid clouds.

But since I was awake I figured I might as well get some sunrise photos. I walked back home, got in my car and drove to the other side of Elderton (a terribly long drive, I know). I parked down a business driveway and walked to the other side of Rt. 210 and set up on the other side of the guardrail (safety first!). Then I took some periodic photos as the sun was rising.

As it turned out there was a barn at the bottom of the hill that really made these photos something special. They're all HDR images (I didn't like how normal exposures were coming out, so I started snapping varying ones to composite). And for the most part the images are pretty much the same, but I like them so here you go.

Photo composited in Aperture using Photomatix HDR Plug-In.
Click image for larger version.

Photo composited in Aperture using Photomatix HDR Plug-In.
Click image for larger version.

Photo composited in Aperture using Photomatix HDR Plug-In.
Click image for larger version.

And then here's one more that I took towards the beginning while I was waiting for the sun to start coming up. This is not an HDR image.

4 sec. exposure at F/20. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.

All in all, I consider today a good shooting day. I'm really happy with how those HDR images came out today. Of course, I said "stupid clouds" earlier, but the clouds and the barn are what make these photos pop. I think they're among my best, not just of the HDR, but of everything I've shot so far. What do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? Let me know in the comments below!

I just realized that today is already March 20th, so I should probably let you know that I'll be doing another contest for March. The rules will be the same as they were for February so get those comments rolling! Ta ta unta tamara.

No comments:

Post a Comment