Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 60: Reflections

Welcome to the beginning of month three! It's March, which means (hopefully) Spring is coming soon. Which in turn means not getting stuck taking photos inside all the time. Like today. But I really like today's so maybe that's a bad example. On to it!

Now that I've gotten two months of pretty random picture taking out of my system, I wanted to try and get a little more focused. At least in spurts. Going forward, at least for the time being, I'm gonna start some "theme chunks". Basically what I'll be doing is for a week or so, take very similar photos. For example, one week might be landscapes, another week might be animals, and so on. You get the....picture? Hah!

The first week (or so)'s theme is going to be reflective surfaces. As those of you that have been following my blog so far might know, reflective photos are my favorite to take. I don't know why, I just really enjoy doing them. I was actually planning on doing a different them to start with, but then I went into the kitchen to make cereal (well, pour it and some rice milk into a bowl, not physically make the cereal) and saw this reflection happening through my pizza cutter. So I grabbed my camera and started snapping. It also came out cool because of the way that the sun was bouncing off of certain things in the reflection (the faucet, a spoon) and giving off these little sunbursts. See for yourself.

1/20 sec. exposure at F/3.5. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.
I did a few things to it in Aperture after the fact. The first thing I did was crop the photo. There was a lot more "empty" space above and to the left in the photo. I wanted the focus to be on what was in the reflection itself. Because of that, I also did things to make the background darker as well as the edge of the pizza cutter blurrier. Again, it's not important what it's reflecting off of, but rather what's in the reflection.

Okay. .yakO

That about does it for today. Look for some more reflections in the coming days. And yes, I meant that in both definitions (physical and mental reflections). I'm witty like that. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment