Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 63: Take Off That Sweater, Man...

I think that tomorrow will be my last day doing reflections. For two reasons: 1) I'm heading home for a couple of days and I don't know what opportunities I'll have for reflection photos (I'll still be taking pictures for sure, but just not sure what of); and 2) It's starting to get hard, so I want to move on to the next theme. I'm sure I'll return to it and take reflective photos in the future. Just not right now.

Anyhoo. On to today. Today I took some photos of myself as the "model" in my bathroom. I set the camera on my tripod kind of low, pointing up. Then I took one of my roommate Adam's spotlights and did the same thing on the other side of where I was standing (but still behind me). Then I set my camera for timer mode, and started at it.

Please accept my utmost apologies for my hairy, man chest. I don't know why, but I thought it helped the photo, my shirt being off that is. It made it more intimate. This first one is of me looking "angry" at myself.

1 sec. exposure at F/11. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.

I made a few adjustments in Aperture, specifically to the areas around my face. I wanted it to be dark, but still show features. I think it actually came out kind of good (except for my ugly mug, of course).

The next one used the same set-up, but I stood farther away from the mirror. I also tried to look "sad" (sorry, I didn't want to just stand there in the photos. I really did want them to have some emotion to them actually). I also moved in front of the light a little more so that there was a solid silhouette/shadow above and behind me.

.6 sec. exposure at F/9. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.

Obviously, I made some adjustments in Aperture, one of which was making it black and white. Again, other than the fact that I'm in the photo, I really like how this one came out. Not to try and interpret my own work, but I think because of the way there's a lot of empty space in the scene (plus my sad attempt at "sad"), there's actually some loneliness to the photo. What do you guys think? Did I pull it off, or am I just talking out of my ear?

I kind of feel bad giving up after four days of the theme. And who knows, maybe I'll find something at home to bounce something off of and shoot. You'll just have to check back and see. Which reminds me, if there's a specific theme that you'd like to see me do for a week or so, let me know. I'm always looking for things to shoot and a little direction goes a long way.

Buh-buyeeeeeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment