Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 35: They Will See Us Waving From Such Great Heights

Sorry for the late post! BUT, I have a lot to share today! I drove down to Pittsburgh because I found someone selling a Canon SLR (film, not digital) camera and lens for $60. I really just wanted the lens; I figured where else was I going to find it that cheap, plus I got another camera with it. I haven't tried out the camera yet (I don't have any film, and the batteries are dead; I'm going to pick up some of both tomorrow), but as I was driving to meet the couple I found probably the best place in Pittsburgh, particularly for photographers.

1/160 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.

Well, do you agree? I was in Mt. Washington, a suburb of Pittsburgh. It sits way on top of (what I'm assuming) is Mt. Washington. And along this one road there are platforms that stick out off the side of the mountain that are absolutely perfect for photo taking. I plan on returning here a lot at different times of day just to see what I can come up with.

Here's one of the river, taken if you were to look to the right at the above image.

1/125 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.


























In this next one I tried to emphasize and integrate myself with the two taller buildings in the skyline. It actually took quite a few tries before I was able to frame it just right. I came up with a couple of more ideas similar to this to try in the future while I was driving home (of course).

1/160 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.


















The last two photos didn't come out exactly as I had hoped (it was really bright and I was having trouble viewing the images on my LCD, so I couldn't tell at the time). Again, these are shots I'd like to revisit in the future, perhaps trying them at night. In these two, it's tough to see the cars. I wanted the blur effect of the cars driving by, but for some reason it's tough to really see them.

1/4 sec exposure at F/14. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.
This is probably the best one of all that I took. There was one of a bus driving by that was perfect, but the rest of the image was blurred too because I was all twitchy when I took it for some reason.

And here's the final photo for today. I do like the vertical position as opposed to the horizontal. I think it gives it a little sumpn-sumpn more.

.3 sec. exposure at F/14. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.
Like I said, it's tough to make out the cars in these (even more so in the ones I didn't post). The black blur in the center of the left lane is a car, but it blends in with everything too much. Ah well. Live and learn, learn and live.

I'm really happy with my photo adventuring today. Not that anything is particularly exciting in and of itself, but just the fact that I actually got out and shot somewhere other than home or work. I'm must be getting ready for bed now. Work seems to come so early lately. Sleep tight, world. Don't let the bed bugs bite, Earl.

No comments:

Post a Comment