Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 33: A Faucet Runs Through It

Hullo world. Today was annoying. I checked the weather right before I went to bed last night (around 11:30), and it said we were supposed to get a hellacious icy rain storm starting around 3 a.m. and going through until late in the morning. So I didn't bother setting an alarm to wake up at 4:30 to go stand in the rain in Punxsutawney for the Groundhog's Day celebration. Well, surprise surprise, when I woke up at around quarter to 9, it was sunny and 40 degrees out. Stupid weather people. It would have been such a nice morning to go do that and get some great photos, but nooooo I had to take stupid pictures of my stupid faucet in my stupid bathroom's stupid sink.

1/8 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 100. Flash used.
Click image for larger version.
The two pictures are kind of neat, but nothing super awesome by any stretch. I had to use a flash to get the photo to where you could actually see the stream of water. When I wasn't using the flash, it all blended together and looked like I was photographing my sink. Using the flash makes the water look almost like an icicle. Kind of interesting if you think about it: when water molecules slow to (for all practical purposes) a complete stop, they form ice. And since I took a photo of the water molecules, I essentially stopped them in time, forming ice! Hey, it's fun. Leave me alone.

1/8 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 100. Flash used.
Click image for larger version.







For this image, I tweaked it a bit in Aperture afterwards. I adjusted the image so that the blacks in the drain and at the top become really black. In the earlier version of the image you could see down the drain a bit, and you could tell that the dark on the top was part of the faucet. Like I said before, nothing super spectacular about these images, but I did think I might try something similar to this in the future using my famous blue flashlight technique. Stay tuned to see how it turns out.

Okay. Time for Human Target. It's a good show. You should all watch it so it doesn't get cancelled like all great shows are destined to do (I'm looking at you with a tear in my eye, Firefly). Now go. I'm just going to ignore you now until you leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment