Saturday, January 8, 2011

Day 8: Close, But No Cigars

But I do have a broom and a couple of bottles of balsamic vinaigrette! Once again, I was at work today so I was pretty limited with what I could take photos of. So I decided to find some things a go all macro on them. That's right, it's Close Up Day!

The first image I took was of a couple of bottles of balsamic vinaigrette. I shot in RAW again today, so postprocessing was done in Aperture. I'm not going to get into any details today with what I did in Aperture, though. Mostly because I forgot to keep track like I did yesterday!
1/13 sec. at F/5. ISO 400.
Click here for larger image.
I turned a lot of elements way up. I wanted to wash out the counter in the background to make it really, really bright. I also wanted to emphasize the yellow on on the tops of the bottles. I think that it came out okay, but there's some noise in the shadows of the yellow that I'm not happy with. I messed around with it, but that was the best I could get it. If anything, it gives it more of a warm, painted feel, I guess.

Today's second photo was a close-up of the bottom of a broom. It had some really white dust on the bottom of the bristles that contrasted nicely with the dark of the bristles themselves.
1 sec. exposure at F/5. ISO 400.
Click here for larger image.
I'm actually really happy with how this one came out in Aperture. I wanted to maintain some blurriness (from slight camera shake), but I like that the left, darker areas are very sharp. This is definitely some artsy-fartsy stuff, but I still like it. I think it's cool how things can come out when you get in really close to them. I think I'll definitely be doing some more of this, especially at work where my photo options are pretty limited.

That's all she wrote today. I'm still hanging on to a bit of a cough, but I'm going to try and get outside tomorrow and get shots in the snow. It's still a nice, soft, clean snow. Not too gross or dirty yet, so I want to make sure I get out while I can. Thanks for stopping by, and ya'll come back now. Seriously. Come back so I don't feel like this is a waste of time. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment