Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11: One is Not the Loneliest Number

Happy day with lots of ones, everybody! I have two pictures for you on this fine evening (filled with a crap ton of snow (with more to come) here in PA). I didn't shoot in RAW today. I felt like I was getting away from some of the things that I really want to get better at by using Aperture as a crutch. Well, not completely, but I do feel like I was less concerned with what I was taking pictures of because I knew I could at least make it look "cool" in Aperture. So I went back to regular shooting for today. I'm not giving up on Aperture completely; it's a really great tool to have in my arsenal. But I do want to get back to being more selective in what I shoot.

As I said above, we be gettin' dumped on as I type this. A couple of hours was enough to cover the sidewalks in downtown Indiana. So I trekked (well, stepped) outside at work and snapped some shots of the recently walked-through snow (I wasn't going to shovel the front for the 10 more minutes the store was open. It'll get moved in the morning when I get back.).
1/10 sec. exposure at F/4.5. ISO 100.
Click image for larger version.
It's not the best angle, but I didn't want to step out from under the awning because the snow was coming down pretty good, and I was afraid of water damage on the camera. But still fun, kind of. I guess. What do you people want from me?!

After my drive home (which took forever, not because the roads were bad, more because people feel the need to do a quarter of the speed limit when snow starts falling no matter how clear the roads are), I parked my car and let some snow fall onto my windows. I zoomed in real close and focused on the water drops on the window and pointed towards a street light. I like this one okay. Actually, I wish I had taken this one in RAW, because it could have had some cool results with tweaking (and technically I can tweak the JPEG, but it doesn't seem the same to me).
1.6 sec. exposure at F/8. ISO 400.
Click image for larger version.

I work tomorrow (it's my last day for a couple of days), so once again I'm not exactly sure what I'll take pictures of (is reading this statement getting as old for you as it is for me writing it?). Maybe with all of this snow we're getting something will present itself. But we'll see. Enjoy all your ones today; you won't get this many again until November. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment