Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 16: There's a Dog On It

It's Sunday Funday! You know what that means?! No? Oh, well neither do I. But I've got pictures of dogs today so that must mean something. Well, one dog, multiple pictures. My roommate Reggie's dog Molly to be precise. For a dog that never wants to get off your lap, it was surprisingly difficult to get her to sit still long enough to take photos of her. My other roommate Adam had to subdue her with back scratches. The nice kind. Wow. Soooo, let's get to it shall we?

The first photo I took holding my camera in one hand and her squeak toy in the other. I also used my camera's built-in flash today for the first time since I bought it four months ago. She was moving around so much I didn't have any other choice. I'm usually not a huge fan of using flash when I can avoid it. I like the warmer tones of natural light, but these actually came out pretty decent today. Right situation, I guess.
1/100 sec. exposure at F/4.5. ISO 100.
Flash used.
Click image for larger version.

I only noticed afterwards that I was actually focused on her nose. So the toy and her nose are clear and then it gets a little fuzzy. If I had gotten the focus point more around her eyes I think I would like this one a little more. But hey, she was yanking on that toy with a ferocity reserved for small dogs so I didn't have a ton of control over my camera at that point.

The next shot I took while Adam was scratching her back. I filled her head with as much of the frame as I could. I kind of like this one, if only for the detail the camera gave in her hair. I tweaked a couple of things in Aperture with this one, too. I turned the exposure down slightly and darkened the highlights as much as possible. The reason for this was the brighter spots in her fur. They were really the only part of the image I wasn't really happy with. It was just the reflection of the flash off of her. With a mounted flash, I could have aimed or bounced the flash so it wasn't headed straight at her, but I was just using the built-in. One direction with that guy.
1/100 sec. exposure at F/6.3. ISO 100. Flash used.
Click image for larger version.

The last image that I have for today isn't anything that great. In fact, in other circum- stances I probably wouldn't have added it to the blog. But this one isn't necessarily about the actual photo than the "look" on her face. When I was scrolling through the LCD afterwards, I just started cracking up at this one. She's got this, "Seriously? You've got that in my face again?" look in her eye.
1/100 sec. exposure at F/4.5. ISO 100. Flash used.
Click image for larger version.

Expect some more shots of Miss Molly as the year progresses I'm sure. Especially early on, as the winter continues. When I'm stuck at home due to weather, she'll certainly make a nice model. That is when she sits still. Remember to check back at the end of this week as I'll have a nice little contest for (all 2 of) you as a thanks for reading my little bloggie poo. But now? I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment